Krimo's Washing Up...

My first job in catering was as a porter in a very busy Newcastle pizzeria, La Capanella in Shakespeare Street. It no longer exists. It was swallowed up in the early eighties by the Theatre Royal and now forms part of its backstage. So, come to think of it, I can claim that I have fulfilled one of my childhood ambitions: to be an actor. Backstage, washing dishes for over 300 people a day and crying over a sack of onions, wishing that I had stuck in at Sunderland Poly, drawing ships instead of slicing chips...


No, I am waffling, really...
Though it may be physically demanding, washing up is the one job in the kitchen where, while the chefs are stressed out their wits over spilt milk, over-cooked steaks, mushy vegetables or burnt toast, the porter will be the only cool person in the house.
I could be a million miles away from the scraping, scrubbing, rinsing and drying of my dishes. My apron, trouser fronts and sleeves would be wringing wet, but there I was soaking the sun on a faraway exotic beach or sailing the beautiful Indian Ocean.


Nowadays, at home I'd rather cook than wash up. So if you want me to rustle you up something for supper, promise you'll do the washing up. But be warned, I am a messy cook and I will use every single pot and pan you own. Just ask Karen.



14 comments:

Zéphyr said...

La langue française consacre l'expression "Plongeur" pour désigner le préposé à la vaisselle.

La vie active, à ses débuts, est certes difficile mais oh ! combien enrichissante.

Il faut être persévérant et avoir beaucoup d'ambition. Le temps fera le reste.

A la maison, faire la vaisselle ou ne pas la faire relève plutôt d'un acte volontaire que d'une obligation.

Au boulot, le Chef est aux fourneaux et, à la maison, à la plonge.

Unknown said...

From one kitchen porter to another...I loved that job when I was younger! Hard graft but good crack, kept you on your toes thats for sure.

Ché l'écossais said...

I actually like doing the washing up.

Call me wierd, but one day, elbows in grease, I had an epiphany, and asked myself "Why do I hate doing this?" and figured that it was an attitude problem.

Now I treat it as a kind of zen moment of enlightenment or whatever.

Yeah, ok, so I'm wierd, live with it.

;+P

Krimo said...

Ah, our, Zéphyr, à la maison si l'on fait pas la vaisselle, pas de dessert!

Krimo said...

CR, I really did like washing up. The job didn't hold as much responsibility as cooking and you could waffle to your heart's content!

Ché, are you sure you were washing up?

Zéphyr said...

" Fais la vaisselle sinon tu seras privé de dessert ! ". C'est pour les enfants.

Nous, les adultes ... c'est sans commentaires !

" No comment " comme disent nos amis les Britanniques.

Zéphyr said...

Zéphyrette, Zéphyron et Zéphyra se joignent à moi pour te dire :
JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Krimo said...

No comment!
Merci beaucoup, Zéphyr et toute la famille. x

Queenie said...

Tell me about washing up!! My son has opened his website for Saints,would appreciate your comments,. You can contact me on face book Elizabeth Brown Nottingham.

Queenie said...

Mmmmm stupid me, Saintsbar.co.uk

Pat said...

I'm with Che and when I brought my dishwasher with me when I joined MTL he didn't like the noise so I ditched it and find its my thinking time and also nobody else wipes everything down properly. Do porters ever wear gloves or rather marigolds?

Krimo said...

Have tried to log on to Saints but without success. Will try again.

A handful (!) wear colourful marigolds, the rest only bother when they're using caustic cleaners.

Caroline said...

Krimo! I remember you from La Capanella! I was the young girl who worked on Saturdays and then full time for a while in the upstairs coffee bar. I don't think you will remember me, but I really liked you because you were a lot nicer and more respectful than the other kitchen and waiting staff. I'm happy to see you have your own place now....good luck!

Krimo said...

Caroline, your comment made my day. If ever you find yourself in Hartlepool, please come and visit us. X