Krimo's Tasty Olives...

There was a time when it was very hard to find olives in British supermarket. Nowadays dozens of different kinds adorn the shelves of even the smallest grocer. The following is but a small selection from Asda's olive offer: Stuffed green, Kalamata, Greek Olympian, Stuffed with garlic, peppers, jalapenos, anchovies, etc... Around 30 varieties!

For my own consumption, I usually buy a couple of jars of whole green olives (around 80p each) then add the following ingredients to create my favourite taste:
Two fresh garlic clove, halved
Chilli flakes
Cumin seeds
Coriander seeds
Caraway seeds
Lemon, either fresh or pickled
Olive oil.
Method:
Place olives and brine in a large bowl.
Add all the above ingredients.
Mix well and store in plastic tub or glass jar.
Leave for a couple of days before tasting.
Enjoy!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Its a good idea Krimo, we do the same with rosemary and lemon and manzanilla olives. There is an olive for everyone..!

Krimo said...

Actually, CR. That should've have been the last line to my post.
There is an olive for everyone.
So many combinations, so many olives, so little time!

Pat said...

The best olives I ever tasted were in a village in Spain. I've never tasted anything quite like them.

Krimo said...

You may taste worse or maybe better olives but never the same again, Pat.
My mother used to picked her own olives. A different taste altogether but even 40 years on, I can still taste them.

valerie walsh said...

You always take beautiful photos that make my mouth water :P Olives are in my top ten favourite foods! I especially love the greek ones. But I love these plump greenies too :) Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Krimo said...

Val, I really love it when young British kids eat olives. It really means that they are open to all sorts of food because olives are such an acquired taste.
Definitely YUMMY!

Leni Qinan said...

When I was little, I remember sitting to watch TV while eating a bowl of olives -I love them, any kind!- what a child's pleasure and nice memory!

I have to try your recipe. The olives in the picture look so delicious.

I second Orce Serrano Hams: there's an olive for everyone, lol.

Krimo said...

You'll have to let me know whether you like them, Lena.

Zéphyr said...

Quand je vois les olives,
Je salive!

Les olives, c'est le soleil,
La Méditerranée !

Une longue et grande croisière
Me mène en Espagne, en Corse,
En Sardaigne,en Italie du Sud,
Dans les îles de la Grèce antique,
En Turquie, au Liban,
Au pays philistin,
Chez les Séfarades,
En Algérie et au Maroc :
Voir les 1001 façons de conserver l'olive.

Quel merveilleux et délicieux voyage !

...Et la colombe ramena
Le rameau d'olivier à Noé...

Tous deux,
Symbole de paix et d'hospitalité.

Zéphyr pour Krimo's

Krimo said...

Mais quel poème! Quel voyage!
N'oublions pas la Tunisie...

Zéphyr said...

Oh oui ! Que les Tunisiens me pardonnent.

Une image de jeunesse me revient : des oliveraies à perte de vue qui ne cessaient de défiler devant moi.