Most expensive food...
















Caviar is just simply fish roe (eggs). Though the best comes from the Beluga Sturgeon, one can always make do with lumpfish or salmon caviars at around £5 a jar.

Beluga Caviar which comes from the Caspian sea can cost at least £2000 a kilo.
It is the most expensive food item in the world!
Sturgeons can weigh up to two tonnes and prized more for their eggs than their meat.
Caviar is usually served on a warm toast for very special occasions.

I personally have tried real Caviar only once and, though I liked it very much, I still do no see what the fuss is all about.
Can you?

(photo courtesy of Wikipedia)

5 comments:

Zéphyr said...

Je n'aime pas le caviar. C'est gélatineux et dégoûtant.

La première et dernière fois que j'ai découvert ces drôles d'œufs de poissons c'était il y a 30 ans, au Palais des Nations (Club des Pins).

Cela me rappelle les parvenus d'hier et d'aujourd'hui.

Krimo said...

Du caviar en Algérie!!
Des parvenus! Absolument.

Anonymous said...

En Aquitaine aussi on a repris la production d'esturgeon et du caviar( STURIA )" L’Acipenser sturio "(une des 24 espèces) vivait à l’état sauvage dans l’estuaire de la Gironde, il était très exploité et pêché des années 20 aux années 60...( Perlita )ca ressemble à de la pub ! C'est bon sans plus ! c'est surtout bon pour les nouveaux riches question de snobisme ! En somme une contre pub ...!

Une mousse de foie de canard même au porto sur Toast ,ferait mieux l'affaire ?

Krimo said...

Surtout avec de la confiture de figues... Mmmmmmmmm...

Hayden said...

I confess, I love it. For myself, I buy salmon roe (fresh, if I can find it, and clean and salt it myself!).

I was lucky to have a friend who had money and was mad about both caviar and throwing dinner parties. She started them all with a puck-sized jar of osetra.
I doubt it was from the Caspian, but it was glorious!

(It was also at her house I first tried authentic absinthe and learned the charm - and the exaggerated claims of intoxication and addiction - of the Green Fairy. Ah well. I guess every age has it's marijuana stories to scare the kiddies with.)