Krimo's Midnight Walk...

I was invited by the Hartlepool and District Hospice to perform the countdown to the start of the Midnight Walk on Saturday 5th September.

On arriving the Historic Quay car park, it looked like Hartlepool's entire female population had descended on the Marina.
Daughters, mothers and grandmothers wearing something pink and sporting sparkling antlers warmed up to the sound of dance music, copying the moves of an aerobic trainer assisted by an enthusiastic bobby.
Besides raising money for the Hospice, the Midnight Walk raises awareness as to the work of the Hospice and its dedicated volunteers.
When I first got invited, I imagined myself being trusted with a starting gun and dreading it to go off in the wrong direction causing a bloody massacre. As it happened a harmless pair of scissors was thrust into my hand a few minutes before midnight.
I began the 10-to-1 countdown with the backing of a giant female choir. On reaching "1 and Go!" I theatrically cut the ribbon and quickly stepped aside to avoid the oncoming female tide. The walkers set off on their trek towards Seaton Carew. On reaching the seaside resort, they would turn and head back to the starting post to be rewarded with a medal and a hot bacon butty...
By the time the first one did just that, I was tucked away in my warm bed dreaming of the Olympics.

10 comments:

Pat said...

That's quite an honour Krimo.
Did you get a medal in the Olympics?

Caroline said...

Surely you must have worn sparkly antlers too?

Krimo said...

It was, Pat.
I won a medal in "hot air" ballooning...;o)

Caro, I would've looked like an old dear...

Caroline said...

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Anonymous said...

Très louable et drôle, de surcroît !

Ce Sont des oreilles de lapinoux !? Rose ! Mais je ne vois pas leur queue ?
Il n'y a pas de blessé chez les mâles , manifestement en infériorité numérique ?

Et...

Bravo !! Adam , un concept innovant ne peut aller que de l'avant !

Krimo said...

Merci beaucoup, Crabbers.
C'est tres innovant mais ce qui reussit aux Etats Unis finit toujours a traverser l'Atlantique...

Zéphyr said...

Bravissimo

Krimo said...

Merci, Zephyr.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Will you be turning on the Christmas lights in Regent Street this December?

Krimo said...

Nobody knows me outside Hartlepool, Daphne and knowing me, I'd cause a short anyway.