Krimo's magic mushrooms...

Mushrooms can be used in so many dishes from soups to stews, pastas to pizzas. I often wish I could go picking my own in nearby forests.
Two inconvenients: lack of time and lack of knowledge. I can imagine myself dying a slow death after enjoying a poisonous mushroom omelette.
The following video is quite useful in helping us choose from a few edible varieties.

The first time I tried Enoki mushrooms was in Spain where they called them Hedgehog Eggs... (Huevas de Erizo)
Being the inquisitive type, I wanted to know what these eggs looked and tasted like. I ordered them in a starter with scrambled eggs and discovered that in reality they were a variety of mushroom. I googled them the following day and found out they were widely used in Japan. Since then, I have enjoyed them raw in salads and sauteed in stir-fries.



6 comments:

Pat said...

Very informative but I'm still not sure why sometimes I relish them and sometimes can't eat them.

Krimo said...

Just like me with oysters, Pat.

Zéphyr said...

Sous le sable saharien, pousse à ras le sol le plus raffiné des champignons : la truffe blanche du Sahara.

Elle est exportée clandestinement vers les pays du Golfe Persique.

Les Français en savent quelque chose.

Krimo said...

Oui, les truffes du Sahara! J'en ai entendu parler.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Take a Pole with you, they all know about mushrooms, they go picking in the forest from a young age. Too many mushrooms are bad for your liver, especially wild ones. My favourites are chanterelles, used to buy them by the kilo for next to nothing in Ghana.

Krimo said...

A Pole or a stick...
Lucky to know what mushrooms to pick.
Chanterelles in Ghana! You've definitely lived, Daphnée!